Please note: You only need to register / login if you wish to make representations.
If you haven't got an account you can register now.
If you have forgotten your password you can request a new password.
Proposed erection of new houses off Glebe Lane, Abberton
I understand this site has been designated as a potential location for the erection of 5 houses in Abberton, and am writing to express my very strong objections to this plan, for the following reasons:
1. The case for more residential building on greenbelt village land seems to me to be weak: thousands of new houses are already being built around Colchester
and the town is spreading ever further. Despite the government's policy of requiring each village/area to allocate more sites for residential development, I fail to see how 5 new homes on this proposed site is necessary, let alone desirable.
2. Those of us who choose to live in villages value the surrounding countryside, and most of us moved here to escape the onslaught of urbanisation.
3. Access to this site is only possible along a privately-owned drive (already used by Ashpark House) , or by Glebe Lane -a narrow unmade country lane which is also privately owned. Even if the current owners granted access over their land for additional residents (most unlikely, if local information is correct), neither route is suitable or safe. Glebe Lane is narrow, and already obstructed by parked vehicles at times. Access for emergency vehicles would be a serious issue if additional vehicles used these routes to access the meadow.
4. Providing services for the proposed 5 dwellings would disrupt traffic in Peldon Road which is increasingly busy.
5. The meadow is currently home to nightingales, deer, foxes and other creatures and we do not want to lose these rural pleasures for the sake of 5 houses!
6. Abberton & Langenhoe now have no local facilities (excepting a PO located on the edge of the village). Villagers already have difficulty finding a doctor's surgery, and the local school is oversubscribed -all of which means additional traffic to
Please leave some parts of our villages for us to enjoy! Such massive development around Colchester must surely be adequate for the required local expansion plans!